Carcoar historic village is set in a dell by the oak-lined banks of the Belubula River With steep hills surrounding it Carcoar is a village of untouched 19th century charm, that feels like a traditional English village.
The town has been classified by the National Trust due to the number of intact 19th-century buildings which have only been preserved and restored - there has been no reconstruction or replication.
There are some fine Georgian buildings along the main street, St Paul's Anglican Church built in 1848 and designed by Edmund Blacket, the century old court house, the 1849 convict built stables of Stoke House is believed to be the oldest building in the village, and many more.
The Mid Western highway bypass overlooks the village but many people are drawn in to the delightful village which is the third oldest town west of the Blue Mountains.
The first daylight bank hold-up in Australia was at the Commercial Bank in 1863.
Carcoar Dam is approx 7 km out of town situated on the Belubula River, between the town of Blayney and the village of Carcoar. Water ski-ing, swimming, fishing, windsurfing and sailing are popular.
Camping, picnic and barbecue facilities are available.
Click any image to view the larger image Gallery Slide Show
Take a pictorial tour around the village with the Photo Gallery on the right - just click any image to start the slide show.
Carcoar village is located just off the Mid Western Highway between Bathurst and Cowra. Just 10 minutes from Blayney and 40 minutes from Orange and Bathurst in the Central Tablelands, Central West of NSW Australia.