Our Thanks - could you please mention the Blayney Town & Around website when contacting any of the businesses, organisations listed.
In 1831 Thomas Icely a prominent pastoralist with the property Saltram near Bathurst purchased additional land and obtained a grant, further west, which he called Coombing Park. Icely had also received a free grant in 1831 of 3440 acres which he called Mandurama.
Around 1870 part of Coombing Park (under the management of Thomas Icely's eldest son Thomas Rothery Icely) was sold to John Fagan who named his station Sunny Ridge. The 60,000 Sunny Ridge property originally included the Mandurama town site.
Both Coombing Park and Sunny Ridge properties continue on today.
Mandurama grew to be a service centre for the surrounding pastoral areas.
A small town of just a few hundred people it has a general store, service station and hotel. Some of the buildings are quite historic with a number of churches including the St Laurence O'Toole Catholic Church, two old former bank buildings, the Lincoln Theatre and the Mandurama Royal Hotel established in 1899.
Mandurama is home to 'The Mandurama Collection' which was given to the National Library of Australia.
The Mandurama Collection is a collection of 3,444 photographs taken between 1865 and 1935, by photographer Evan Lumme. The photographs are of the Central Tablelands, Central West areas of New South Wales. Many are of the village of Mandurama and its residents but there are images as far west as Boorowa. Mostly the images are of the residents and areas of, Mandurama, Lyndhurst, Carcoar. Some are from Cowra, Boorowa, Burnt Yards, Garland, Gallymont, Neville, Shaw, Blayney and Orange.
The photographs are considered an invaluable resource for seeing Country Australia as it was in the Victoria era and the post-federation era.
After Lumme died the photographs were forgotten about and not re-discovered until the 1970s. The negatives were found in an abandoned house in the Mandurama area and given to the National Library.